No trip to IKEA is complete without lining up to get a plate of their delicious Swedish Meatballs. But with the iconic retailer closed for in-store business thanks to the coronavirus pandemic, the Scandinavian company is looking to bring a little comfort food to those social distancing at home by releasing their famous meatball recipe.
Joining a growing list of businesses and companies sharing beloved recipes with fans, IKEA UK and Ireland shared the recipe for their famous Swedish Meatballs, using an “at-home alternative” with readily accessible ingredients.
— IKEA UK (@IKEAUK) April 20, 2020
“We know that some people might be missing our meatballs, which is why we’ve released an at-home alternative which, using easily accessible ingredients, will help those looking for some inspiration in the kitchen,” said Lorena Lourido, the country food manager at IKEA UK and Ireland. “Staying at home can be hard, but we want to help make everyone’s lives that little bit easier and more enjoyable.”
“Bon appétit or, smaklig måltid, as we say in Sweden!” the company announced – before also sharing the recipe for the accompanying gravy.
Ingredients for Meatballs:
500 grams (or 17.6 ounces) ground beef
250 grams (just under 9 ounces) ground pork
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic (crushed or minced)
100 grams (3½ ounces) breadcrumbs
5 tablespoons of whole milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Meatballs:
1. Combine beef and pork and mix thoroughly to break up any lumps.
2. Add finely chopped onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg and mix.
3. Add milk and season well with salt and pepper.
4. Shape mixture into small, round balls. Place on a clean plate, cover and store in the fridge for 2 hours (to help them hold their shape while cooking).
5. In a frying pan, heat oil on medium heat. When hot, gently add your meatballs and brown on all sides.
6. When browned, add to an ovenproof dish and cover. Place in a hot oven (325 degrees F) and cook for a further 30 minutes.
Ingredients for Swedish Cream Sauce:
Dash of oil
40 grams (3 tablespoons) butter
40 grams (3 tablespoons) plain flour
150 milliliters (⅔ cup) vegetable stock
150 milliliters (⅔ cup) beef stock
150 milliliters (⅔ cup)l thick double cream
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Directions for Swedish Cream Sauce:
1. In frying pan, melt the butter.
2. Whisk in the flour and continue cooking, stirring continuously, for 2 minutes, allowing the flour to cook through.
3. Add the vegetable stock and beef stock and continue to stir.
4. Add the thick double cream, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard.
5. Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken. Continue to stir.